Engineer Domenico Dottori, the first post-war mayor of Cupramontana, elected directly by the National Liberation Committee (CLN), had spent many years out of town in Sardinia working as a freelancer. With his savings, he invested in land scattered around the districts of his hometown, managed mainly by sharecropping.
As soon as he retired he decided to go on the Aurora adventure. It was founded in the early 1950s as the company “Aurora di Bolletta, Cerioni e C.” In 1958 it was named “Cantina Aurora of Engineer Dottori and C.” and in 1969 the shareholder Pasquale Bolletta withdrew from the company. In 1971 partner Domenico Dottori and Gianni Cardinali proceeded with the early liquidation of the company.
There were two processing sites in 1971: one for sparkling wines which was located on Corso Leopardi with four autoclaves; the second for table wines on viale G. Spontini.
In the early years the activity of the winery was mainly aimed at Central Italy, then Rome, Milan and before long all of Italy. Then, since 1958, they began to introduce themselves abroad, particularly in the United States, Switzerland, France and England. Equipped with modern machinery, they produced the traditional Verdicchio still and sparkling wines, as well as red wine and the Aurora rosé. Even then the owners wanted their production to be distinguished by quality at the expense, if necessary, of quantity. "(Taken from: Cupramontana: Land of Vineyards and Bubblesby Riccardo Ceccarelli).