An Ecclesiastical Benefice to San Michele
Dottori Family: Proprietors since 1935
It is hypothesized that between 1887 and 1920 the ownership of the land somehow passed into the hands of Pietro Paolo Coppari, born in Cupramontana on November 11, 1874 and died in Ancona on September 9, 1957. He was by profession a farmer and landowner, and had the cellar in front of the hospital in Via M. Ferranti (where the Raul Bartoli Hall is located today).
However, Coppari's wine business failed in 1931, and in 1935 Domenico Dottori took over and purchased the entire property (land and building).
From the cadastral variation registered on July 23, 1927, in which the building used as a cellar located on Via Colonara 1 was recorded for the first time, the maps show that all portions of the vineyard land became then entirely purchased in 1935, by Domenico Dottori, Corrado's grandfather.
When in 2015 the renovation of the cellar located in Contrada San Michele began, it was an opportunity for us to do research on the history of the building and the vineyards as a starting point for a new phase in our history.
The first record relating to the land where the property of La Distesa is located dates back to the Land Registry of 1471 in which there is a general mention of the presence of vineyards belonging to one Nocenzio dè Giovanni near the church of San Michele. We were not able however to trace back to the exact location of these parcels (as we have been able to do for other periods).
Subsequent claims date back to the seventeenth century, in particular to the Old Land Registry of 1658, which reports the parcels of our property as belonging to Marc'Antonio Torelli, who was the owner in San Michele until the moment in which the parcels were transformed into an ecclesiastical benefice between the end of the 17th and early 18th centuries.
This phase of the history of our land is particularly interesting, because from the Land Registry of 1714 it appears that these parcels were transformed into an ecclesiastical benefice in the name of one Francesco Giandalini (not Giandolini as recorded later). The ecclesiastical benefice was the juridical institution dating back to the times of feudalism which referred to the Church's land and real estate properties granted to the clerics in usufruct, as compensation for their offices.
Francesco Giandalini (1645 - 1715) is a very interesting character in that Francesco Menicucci mentioned him in his "Historical Dictionary", remembering him as one of the most important bass singers at the musical chapel of the Roman hospital of San Spirito in Saxia, near San Pietro. What about his biography is most interesting to us is that he worked in Rome in his youth (probably until 1676) and then became chapel master in Cupramontana, where he remained until his death. Menicucci remembered him as very talented in music, to the point that in his will he left all his properties as a benefit of the chapel master of San Leonardo with the indication that a musician should be chosen who is suitable, native, a sub-deacon or one approved by the Ordinary.
The land where we now cultivate the vineyards, therefore, was at least from the end of the seventeenth century an ecclesiastical benefice, enjoyed, after Giandalini's death, by all the chapel musicians who followed each other in the church of San Leonardo.
The benefice of San Michele appears to have survived all the historical phases of the nineteenth century, up to and beyond the Unification of Italy, being still recorded in the cadastral register of 1885 as the only parcel 46, entirely vineyards, without any buildings.
The next land register, the Rustic Land Register of 1886, indicates the same portion of land still as an ecclesiastical benefice named after Francesco Giandolini and enjoyed, at that time, by the cleric Giovanni Battista Boccetti.
And so we arrive to the early twentieth century...